Monday, March 29, 2010

starting anew

Well, I was having trouble settling down to sleep, so I decided to get up and iron and start a new project, since I finished quilting Coffee Birds!

I've been thinking about different ways of highlighting bright blue fabric in a simple nine-patch quilt top,
as well as different quilting patterns. I think it would be cool to make a truly unique quilting pattern by using a fingerprint! You could take a fingerprint, then modify it to make the lines more continuous, since most fingers have little wrinkles that interrupt the pattern of the swirls and lines (or whatever they're called). But to show it off, I think it would be best to have a relatively simple, geometrical patchwork pattern underneath. Like...a nine-patch pattern!However, I'm just not crazy about a lot of the traditional scrappy nine-patch quilts out there, so I wondered what would happen if I played with very simple, clean colors, like white and the sort of blue that has been on my mind. Then if you put the white in the middle and corners instead of the dark color as is more traditional, and played with adding sashing between the blocks (shown above), or just putting the blocks directly next to each other (below), you could get quite distinctive effects with very simple colors and piecing!So, I ironed some fabric and started cutting some more 2.5" strips. My favorite.I love it when I have a lot of ideas floating around in my head (a color, a quilting pattern, variations on a patchwork pattern) and find a way to experiment with them all simultaneously. It's such an efficient way to test out lots of crazy ideas!
~Phosphorelated

No comments:

Post a Comment