Sunday, March 14, 2010

a front and a back

My goal for the weekend was to get the Coffee Birds quilt top assembled, a back made, and the quilt sandwich assembled. I didn't quite make it, but I came close. One quilt top, now assembled:It doesn't look very different from the individual blocks laid out on the floor, but there was some work involved nonetheless.
I decided to do a pieced back, as the quilt top measures 65"x65", which is too big for any one cut of fabric in my stash. Also, I really like pieced quilt backs! I cut 21"x2.5" strips of some of the fabrics used in the quilt top, and added an edging made of leftover bits from the blocks.
Then I cut a 66" length of fabric into two pieces, inserted the strip in the middle, and voila!
One quilt back.
(The bit of orange peeping out in the corner is the quilt top, which is sitting on the table underneath the back.) It took me pretty much all day to get the back put together, and by 5 o'clock when I was finally ready to assemble the quilt sandwich, I was just too tired to focus properly. I figured there was no point in doing a shoddy job of pinning it all together, so the top and back ended up on the dining room table instead. They'll get assembled eventually.

I hope you all met your goals for the weekend! Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment