Sunday, September 5, 2010

today's menu: ratatouille and a quilt sandwich!

This morning, Brad was up before the sun smoking some brisket.Me, I am not that ambitious (though I certainly do enjoy eating the brisket someone else has spent 14 hours cooking!). I took some herbs from the garden,
some beautiful veggies from the farmer's market,and made ratatouille (yum)!That took most of my morning. We had a lovely lunch off the grill (thanks, Brad!), and then I got to work on the quilt. I pieced the back, then remembered I'd meant to add a contrasting stripe on either side of the blocks. Oops.
But I thought it looked OK, and when I measured, it was just big enough. So I flipped it over
and built a quilt sandwich!
I added lots of pins,
and lots of bobbins of cheerful yellow thread (it's Essential thread from Connecting Threads, in Butter)
and was ready to quilt! I spent a lot of hours (at least 4 or 5) doing organic line quilting. (You can find nice instructions and an example of this technique here, thanks to Jacquie of Tallgrass Prairie Studio, another quilt blog I greatly enjoy.)
I'm quilting every 1/4 - 3/4", widthwise. After quilting all afternoon (and OK, the whole evening, too...maybe more like 6+ hours in total) I have gotten some quilting in each of the blocks to help stabilize the sandwich, and have finished the quilting on the first row of blocks. One down, four to go! It's going to take a while, but I really like the resulting texture, so it's worth it.

Onwards!
~Phosphorelated

No comments:

Post a Comment