Wednesday, September 1, 2010

a quilt back in progress

Tonight I've been working on a back for the sunshine bento box quilt. I've got 2 yards of this busy yellow and blue fabric; I bought a lot of it because I thought it would make a cool quilt back and wasn't quite sure how else to showcase this fabric. The pattern is just a little large and busy for most of the piecing I have been doing. Because the quilt top measures ~62"x77", this backing fabric is just long enough but not quite as wide as I need it to be. That suits me just fine, since I prefer pieced backs anyway, and I have a bunch of scraps left over from the blocks. So this evening I sat down and pieced five scrappy blocks to add to the back.Here they are in a classic blogland shot complete with toes. (The blocks are ~16" square, so I had to stand on chair to get them all in the shot.)
Here are the blocks laid out on the busy backing fabric.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to need some sort of border between the two, but I haven't quite worked out the details yet. I'm thinking maybe some of the darker blue fabrics. I think the contrast is really helpful in the blocks where those are included.
I'll sleep on it. It's not quite there yet, but it's moving in the right direction. And I solve a lot of problems in my sleep. Perhaps I'll have an answer in the morning. There's no rush; I won't get around to assembling the quilt sandwich until the weekend. Time to mull it over and get it right. I think I know how I'm going to quilt this one, though; pictures to follow.

I also finally gave in and bought some fabric for the back of the purple zig-zag quilt. I kept trying to find a combination of things in my stash that would work, and I just wasn't feeling any of them. I had an idea and (somehow) no purple fabric in the right color, and not nearly enough of any one fabric in purple, or green, or any other color I thought might work with the top. I thought about doing some really wide stripes, but as the quilt is wider than the 44" width of the fabric, it just wasn't working. $14 later, I think I have what I want. Or I will soon -- it's in the mail. Still not sure how I'll quilt this one yet; I've got some ideas but haven't quite decided. Should I use white thread, or lavender, or purple, or something wild and crazy for contrast? Should the quilting echo the zig-zags, or be more organic? Or I could do straight horizontal lines to emphasize the sideways stripe of the quilt, or use diagonal straight lines to emphasize the on point setting of the individual blocks.

So many problems to solve; so few nights to sleep on it! I should go get to work on these pressing questions. Good night, all!
~Phosphorelated

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I'm only your second follower! This quilt looks fantastic so far. I love the color combos... can't wait to see it finished. I just started grad school a couple weeks ago - so far it's been manageable, but I don't know how much longer it will stay that way! :) Looking forward to reading more here and I love the name of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Good luck with grad school; it can take a lot, but you can do it! A strong support system is key, and your sewing, painting etc. is a fantastic start. I couldn't stay sane without mine! I hope yours serves you well! Cheers!
    ~Phosphorelated

    ReplyDelete