Friday, October 29, 2010

why I love Franklin Habit

Dear Grad School Experience,
Lately, I have realized, on an uncomfortably visceral level, that success in grad school is not so much about how smart you are or how hard you work, but about how many times you can get knocked down and then get back up again. A seemingly endless capacity for this type of punishment appears to be necessary.
Largely gratuitous hexagons included for those of you who aren't interested in grad school rants. It's what I've been up to while I've been lying on the floor, metaphorically speaking.

Well, fine. This is me getting back up again. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Enter Franklin Habit. I love everything about his blog, The Panopticon. Franklin is witty, his lace is intricate, his photographs are incredibly beautiful, and his cartoons always make me smile. My only regret is that his output is finite; craftsmanship of this quality can't be mass-produced in sweatshops, which is too bad on those days when three or four new posts from Franklin would be just the thing to cheer me up.

What do the wonders of Franklin Habit and his blog have to do with the suckiness of grad school? Well, apparently he too has had a bad day lately, and managed to express his sentiments with knitterly humor, in a way I'm just not able to at the moment, and he put it on a t-shirt. Short, sweet, and to the point, it reads:
"*FU. Repeat from *."

So there, grad school. Take that. I'm off to sew more hexagons.
~Phosphorelated

No comments:

Post a Comment