Saturday, October 16, 2010

the baby top becomes a quilt

After staring at it for several days debating about backing fabrics, I finally decided on a cheerful bumble bee flannel.

I decided to try out a new batting; this one is an 80%/20% cotton/polyester batting that I picked up a while ago at JoAnn's. Normally I'm a fiber snob, with both knitting and quilting, and prefer natural fibers to synthetics almost all the time, but the 80/20 blend seems so popular with some folks that I thought I'd give it a try. I had a crib-sized batting on hand, and it was just big enough. For once my backing fabric was actually larger than my top by at least an inch or two on all sides (just barely big enough), and I had a little problem when my basting pins only went to the edge of the quilt top. I should have pinned the batting and back together, because at one point the back folded over and I quilted it that way.
Fortunately I noticed not too far along. It still meant some quality time with the seam ripper, but not nearly as long as it would have taken if I hadn't noticed fairly quickly.
I also did something new by using a loop-de-loop and star quilting pattern, with a pink Gutterman thread on top and yellow thread in the bobbin. I like the effect! It was also a good choice, since the quilting took a lot more thread than I anticipated and I used at least 2.5 of the 3 spools of pink thread I bought for this quilt. I also thought the yellow would go better with the bees on the back. I just hope the baby likes it!

Now I just have to attach the binding and it'll be ready to send to a new baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment