Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"binding off"

Well, Button's quilt is finally assembled and quilted! There are a few wrinkles in the back, but I'm hoping that once the quilt is washed and crinkled they won't be quite so apparent. Actually, I'm really crossing my fingers, as I've found that, for the moment at least, I'm liking the back even better than the front:
I bought fabric for the quilt top with no plan for a quilt back, and then remembered that one of the half-dozen pieces of fabric I owned before I got into quilting was a piece of robin's egg blue cotton. I probably bought it in high school to make a skirt or something, but this is a much better use.

Now that the quilt is assembled, it's ready for the binding! I trimmed it up this weekend, machine stitched the binding to the front and have been working on hand stitching to the back. Since I'm a knitter, and that's the fiber craft with which my boyfriend is most familiar, he has taken to calling this process "binding off."
It's more like binding on, really, but I think his term is sweet. I'm really enjoying the fabric that I'm using, and it goes very well with the solid fabric in the back, too.I just can't wait to give it to Button when we take her to college this weekend. Yay!
~Phosphorelated

No comments:

Post a Comment