Thursday, July 9, 2009

the first quilt

While I dabbled in sewing during my teens and once bought some beautiful quilting fabrics at a crafting convention, I've never tried my hand at quilting. I've always been mesmerized by beautiful pieced quilt tops, and the idea of keeping warm with beautiful, storied blankets just makes me happy. A few weeks ago, I stumbled across that gorgeous fabric in my parents' attic. The idea of doing something with it wormed its way into my brain, and in the middle of the night turned into a burning desire to quilt. By 4 a.m., the cloth's siren call had me out of bed, wanting to rummage in the attic and retrieve it then and there. Waking the whole house at that hour for a few yards of cotton seemed a bit excessive, so I lay awake dreaming about it for hours.

So, the next morning I fetched down my beautiful cloth, started stalking quilting blogs, and asked for a rotary cutter, mat and sewing machine for my birthday! I got all three, bought some more fabric and joined the Old Red Barn Co. quilt-along.
I cut some strips:
I set up my new sewing machine...

And I started sewing!
I think I'm addicted.
~Phosphorelated

No comments:

Post a Comment